Monday, July 6, 2009

The Dog Days of Summer

This year's 4th of July was a-mazing! The heat wave in Atlanta actually lifted for a couple of days - just in time to enjoy the fireworks without melting. I don't know about you, but summer is flying by. I've had ups including great art shows in Philadelphia (Rittenhouse Square), Virginia Beach (Boardwalk Art Show), and Memphis (Perry Nicole Fine Art Gallery).

And I've had downs. I began volunteering for hospice last August, and my patient died a few weeks ago. Working with the family for 10 months, I watched as death came slow and deliberate. It was heavy. It was also a privilege to spend time with this family. Society puts so much emphasis on our entrance - the birth of a child. What about our exit? One thing I've learned: hospice is a service that supports the physical, spiritual, and emotional needs of the dying. Hospice makes walking through the exit door comfortable and dignified. For more info on hospice, check out this website: http://www.hospicenet.org/index.html

As Abraham Lincoln said " in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Here's hoping you're living life fully. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment