Wednesday, May 14, 2014

New York & Beyond


Cat & Simo at the NY Art Exp

After my morning meditation today, I reflected on the spring. Spring is a time of growth and rebirth. The old is shed, and the new blossoms.

In April I exhibited my artwork at the New York Art Expo, followed a week later by a large well-known art show in Atlanta. It was exhausting to have this schedule, but the experience was exhilarating. In New York I met artists and collectors from all over the world:  artists next to me and across from me hailed from Turkey, Russia, Spain, Japan, and Sweden. Nearby were familiar faces from Chicago, Alabama, and Florida. It was quite a mix. Every type of 2-D art imaginable was there for purchase by collectors and designers. I was blessed to sell to both, and met some incredible people along the way.

The artists from far-away places were so excited and proud to be there – some attending with their entire families. This made me acutely aware of the great opportunity I have living in this country:  to show and sell my paintings across America. So many of us artists on the “art show circuit” as it is called, sometimes view this as a grind. The saying “perception is reality” really holds true here.

For artists reading this, I sold 30+ paintings and one collector is considering a couple more. I went to this show not only to sell, but to gain contacts. I've got a stack of cards from new art consultants to work with so I score this as a huge success. Three firms bought samples to show clients and 2 others I'm shipping to next week for projects where they've already specified my work. Four others wanted images to start with but one is also deciding about samples to show clients for projects.

So we'll see. I think this is one of those shows that it will take 6 months to really "know" how successful it was. This show has been on my art bucket list so I am satisfied. (And my husband and I enjoyed the adventure of it all and of course the NY restaurants!)

Spring has sprung!

No comments:

Post a Comment