Sunday, July 9, 2017

The State of FLOW


Tesla's studio

Flow is the buzz right now. Are you in the know about flow?

If you haven’t heard, “flow” is the term describing heightened creativity, increased performance, and accelerated problem solving. Scientists are studying just what “it” is that puts a person into flow.

When people make art, they’re often in a state of flow. For me it’s when I no longer hear things around me, or notice things going on around me, ideas come easily, and I’m completely absorbed in the creative process. Time flies and I end up with a new painting completed.

I love reading and listening to audio books while on the road, and this summer I recently began reading “Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALS, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work”, by StevenKotler & Jamie Wheal. There’s also an associated website called the FlowGenome Project, which details the authors’ research. With a background in science (I was formerly a genetic counselor on faculty at Emory University before I officially started my career as an artist) I’m fascinated with both the research and concept of flow.

Since my move into a new home, I’m also feeling a shift in my work and the way I work. Slight differences in approaches to creating a painting, result in slight differences in outcomes. You’ll probably start to notice this – it’s already showing up in the work.

Here’s to a summer filled with FLOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment