|Cat Tesla at a show in March 2019|
During all the shows, especially from this past decade, I thought that I had certainly heard it all after 22 years. But I was wrong.
Without further adieu, here are the top 10 things overheard in my booth in 2019:
1. Ah! Whaddya know? She's selling Tesla's.
2. Man looking at a triptych in my booth. "Boy, I really like your trilogy! I think if I get them, I'd like to have the entire trilogy."
3. My husband gives me a kiss at a show. A minute later, a man comes up to me and asks:
"Is this the kissing booth? Or is that just for him (pointing to my husband)?"
4. Cat, I'm not in the market to buy, but if I was, I would get the big painting there in the back. I know I could look at that for a very long time and be content.
5. Two 10 y.o. boys walk into my booth and look around for a long time (unusual for 10 y.o. boys!). One leans over to the other and says: "This is truly the definition of modern art."
6. I love your colors. Is that gesso you put all over them to make them shiny?
Me: um, no. It's varnish.
7. Do you sleep in these tents overnight?
8. I want to do something creative so I'm getting ideas from your work. Do you make a lot of money?
9. Older man: I'm going to name my next child Cat Tesla. I would name it that, really, if there were going to be any more. Your paintings are beautiful!
10. Man: Hi, I like your work. You have some really interesting sections in your paintings. Is that glazing?
Me: Yes it is.
Man: Opens his phone to show me his paintings, about 6 total. The paint appears runny and drippy. "Know how I get this effect? I put a bunch of paint on the canvas, then take them into the back yard and flip them over into the stream. Then after awhile I take them out and get this cool stuff."
Me: no words (what about the fish???)
Wishing you much health and happiness in 2020 :)
Happy New Year!